Added Mar 24 2018
Derrick Ford, an unemployed A&P Mechanic carried an elderly woman to safety during a horrific neighborhood house fire Thursday afternoon.
" I heard an explosion. We Initially thought it was at Hobby Airport but after the second blast, we knew it was from a house in the neighborhood," Ford said.
Lora Landry, the home owner, was seen struggling to pull a black sleeping bag from the burning home. Nieghbors watched in shock and in horror as fire and the explosions contnued. Thick, white and black smoke filled the air over the home as fire raveged the structure. Ford raced to help Landry. He discovered resting in the sleeping bag was the frail and elderly mother of Landry. Ford carefully lifted and carried the elder to safety.
"I was sad we couldn't find their two dogs. It was surreal", Ford said.
A few minutes later, the Houston Fire Department arrived and extinguished the blaze. The neighbors reported hearing over five explosions. The cause of the fire is under investagation.